Paragraph Punch Writing Prompts
Paragraph Punch provides fifteen guided writing prompts. Each unit concentrates on a specific type of paragraph - based on reasons, details, example, cause and effects, or sequence. Here are the topics of each writing prompt:
Unit 1: Reasons
- A relative has generously left you money in her will. You want to give some of it to charity. Which charity do you choose and why?
- You have won a free trip to Hawaii. You may take one person with you. Whom do you choose and why?
- The editor of your local newspaper has asked you to write about the best athlete on a team in your school or community. Whom do you choose and why?
Unit 2: Details
- A friend from far away is coming to visit you for the first time. What place in particular do you want your friend to see during the visit?
- One place stands out in your memory. It may be indoors or outdoors, close to home or far away. Tell about it.
- A special machine lets you travel back in time. Describe what you witness firsthand some time in the past.
Unit 3: Example
- Most of us have 'heroes,' people we greatly admire. Our heroes are usually people who help others. Describe one of your heroes.
- Machines and gadgets have made life easier and more fun. Some machines we could not imagine living without. Write about a machine that you cannot live without.
- We think of cats, dogs, and goldfish as commonplace pets. There are also other, more unusual pets available. Write about a pet that you think is unusual.
Unit 4: Cause and Effects
- You are moving on to another place or a new experience. How does this move affect you?
- Something that you depend on breaks down. It takes a week to get it fixed. What does this do to your life?
- A natural disaster has struck your community. What are the results?
Unit 5: Sequence
- You enjoy playing a particular game. Your friend wants to learn how to play it too. Describe how you teach your friend to play the game.
- There is a traditional holiday in three weeks. You want to have a party in your home. How do you organize it?
- You plan to surprise your mother by preparing a meal for her on Mother's Day. What do you do?